Apple introduced VIP Mail with iOS 6 and Mountain Lion. It’s super handy and I use it all the time. Setup is so ridiculously easy it’s honestly hardly worth writing up:
- Launch Mail on your iPhone
- Navigate to your list of mailboxes
- Tap the blue triangle next to the one called “VIP”
- The VIP List window appears. To add a contact to the list, tap Add VIP…
- Make your selection. That’s it.
You can also create VIP-specific alerts by tapping VIP Alerts in step three above. iCloud users will notice that your VIP list syncs to your Mac running Mountain Lion automatically. Now, when a message arrives from one of your target contacts, it appears in the VIP mailbox, and gets a star when listed in the unified mailbox.
It’s very handy and I use it all the time. Check it out if you haven’t.